MURGH MUSALLAM RECIPE
Ingredients of this recipe:
10 flakes garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp grated ginger
Salt To Taste
1 cup curd or plain yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup long grain rice
3/4th cup shelled peas
6 bay leaves
1 cup ghee
2 large onions (finely chopped)
225gms/1/2 lb tomatoes (peeled & sliced)
2 cups hot water
3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
6 black peppercorns
1 brown cardamom
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp roasted coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp saffron strands
Method to make this recipe : chicken murgh musallam :
- Mix three-quarter of garlic with half the ginger, half the garam masala,
1 tbsp. salt, 1/3rd of turmeric, half of curd and the lemon juice and mix to
- Make small cuts in the chicken flesh and rub the paste all over and in the
cavity. keep aside for 2 hours.
- Half cook the rice with peas, remaining garlic , 4 cloves, peppercorns,
1/2 tsp. salt, brown cardamom and 4 bay leaves and water and use to stuff chicken.
- Heat the ghee in saucepan and fry the chicken until brown all over, being
careful not to let the stuffing out. Drain the chicken.
- In another pan fry half onions in the remaining ghee with 2 bay leaves,
remaining cloves and green cardamoms, until golden.
- Add the remaining turmeric and chili powder. Make a paste grinding together
the coriander and cumin seeds and the remaining onion and grated ginger.
- Cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes, until the ghee starts to separate. add
the remaining curd, the tomato and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Add the chicken to the pan and baste with the spice mixture. Pour over 300ml/
11/4 cups of water, cover and cook in a moderately hot oven (200 degree centigrade,
400 degree Fahrenheit, gas mark 6) for 1 hour.
- Steep the saffron in the remaining garam masala powder and coriander leaves
before serving murgh musallam.