LAUKI KE KOFTE RECIPE
Ingredients of this recipe:
For the kofte:
4 cups (500 gms) Ghiya or Lauki (bottlegourd), peeled and grated
1/2 tsp Ginger paste
1/2 tsp Sendha namak (rock salt)
1/2 tsp Kali mirch, pissi (black pepper powder)
2 tbsp Singhare ka atta (waterchestnut flour)
Oil for deep-frying
For the gravy:
2 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
1 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
1 tsp Ginger, finely chopped
1/4cup (50 gms) Dahi (yogurt), beaten smooth
1/4 cup Khus-khus (poppy seeds) soaked in milk for 1/2 hour
1 1/2 tsp Dhania (coriander) powder
1 1/2 tsp Sendha namak (rock salt)
1/4 tsp Chilli powder
Hara dhania (green coriander), chopped for garnishing
Method to make this recipe : lauki ke kofte:
- Squeeze water out of the ghiya; mix in salt, ginger and black pepper. Sauté
over high flame, to dry up excess liquid and leave to cool.
- Add singhare ka atta, mix well and shape into walnut sized balls.
- Deep-fry koftas to a golden brown over high flame and keep aside.
- Heat ghee; add jeera followed by ginger and sauté to a light brown.
- Grind the khus-khus into a paste. Add dhania powder, salt and chilli powder
and sauté till oil separates.
- Add 2-3 cups water and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add koftas and dahi, simmer for another 2 minutes, and serve hot. Garnish the
lauki ke kofte with hara dhania.